Friday, April 16, 2010

I was having a chat with my brother-in-law tonight. It made me realize how awesome my childhood really was; I mean it was rough at times, not perfect at all, but it definitely had its moments, lots of them. My brothers and I had so many adventures together. And I know realize that not every family gets that close. Sometimes sibling rivalry and personalities clash too much. Of course we had our clashes and fights, lots of fights, but somehow they always figured themselves out.
Some of my favorite memories were outdoors and others were of mischief: hiking state parks, free-climbing cliffs, trying to make a creek into a dam, discovering forgotten graveyards in the woods, bonfires, climbing trees, trying to fix broken furniture with duct tape and watching it crash to the floor as our parents walked in, traveling the US in an RV, being chased by bees from an abandoned, emptied pool, trying to get lost in the woods - succeeding, jumping from waterfalls, floating on rivers, making bamboo fishing rods and cleaning fish with a pocket knife, camping trips, secrets, dreaming of growing up....
And oh the laughter, so many things we did purely for a laugh. So many gags and goofy stunts. I think one thing that made growing up together so awesome was the laughter. Practical jokes was definitely one thing I really missed when I moved off to college. Oh memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment